Getting Started at Taft
Whether it is the beginning of the school year or you are joining Taft mid-year, please complete the following items to make your transition smooth!
Step 1: Complete the online e-verification process through Infinite Campus
Complete the online E-verification - During the verification process, you will be asked to update your records concerning family, emergency information and permissions/authorizations. This verification needs to be done annually. The information collected through this online verification process will be used by authorized personnel only.
Step 2: Pay School Fees
Consumable material fees for the 2020-2021 school year are $57.00.
Option A: Pay fees on Infinite Campus with a credit card. This service is free.
Option B: Pay fees in person at Taft. Contact the main office and they will help make arrangements. Summer office hours are Monday - Thursday, 7:30am-3:30pm. Make checks payable to Taft Middle School, and include your student’s name, grade and ID number in the memo area.
Option C: Mail fees to Taft. Our mailing address is 5200 E Avenue NW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52405.
Step 3: Deposit money into your student’s Lunch Account
The Lunch Account is separate from the Consumable Materials Fee.
- Option A: Deposit money into your student's Lunch Account with a credit card using the SendMoneyToSchool online service. There is a small fee for this service.
- Option B: Lunch money can be dropped off at school. Contact the main office and they will help make arrangements. Summer office hours are Monday - Thursday, 7:30am-3:30pm. Make checks payable to Taft Middle School, and include your student’s name, grade and ID number in the memo area. Please make sure that the cafeteria check is separate from the school consumable material fee check.
- Option C: Mail lunch money to Taft. Our mailing address is 5200 E Avenue NW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52405.
Students whose families meet the income guidelines for free and reduced price lunch, the Family Investment Program (FIP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), transportation assistance under open enrollment, or who are in foster care are eligible to have their student fees waived. This waiver does not carry over from year to year and must be completed annually. Click here for the waiver form. The waiver form is available through the “Getting Started at Taft “ link. Hard copies are available at Taft. Contact the main office and they will help make arrangements. Summer office hours are Monday - Thursday, 7:30am-3:30pm.
Step 4: Know your child’s Advisory teacher
Your student's Advisory teacher will be listed on your child's schedule in Infinite Campus later this summer. Your student will report to Advisory teacher as soon as they arrive on the first day of school.
Step 5: Make sure you have a completed Physical Examination and Concussion Fact Sheet
This is only required for 7th and 8th grade students who plan to participate in athletics. Check out our many options for boys and girls sports in the Activities tab on the Taft website. Start dates for each sport are listed there and were also emailed to you earlier this summer. Physicals are NOT required for participation in 6th Grade Intramurals.
Hard copies of both forms are available in the main office or use the “Getting Started at Taft” link to print out a copy for yourself.
- Physical form: Physicals are required for participation in athletics in 7th and 8th grade and must be completed before an athlete can begin practice.
- Concussion Form: In addition, the Iowa Legislature passed a law that requires all students in grades 7-12 who participate in athletics and their parents to sign and return to school a fact sheet, “Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports”.
Additionally, Metro Care Connection will be providing free physicals at Taft for any student who is uninsured, underinsured or has Medicaid. Please call the Metro Care Connection Office at 558-2481 to set up an appointment.
Step 6: Acquire the necessary school supplies for your grade
The SCHOOL ACTIVITY CALENDAR is a click away at the top of the Taft website under “Calendars” or through the “Getting Started at Taft” link. Our calendar allows you to search and choose the activities that are important to you. You can import them into your own calendars.
Step 8: Complete these forms.
You can print these from the “Getting Started at Taft” link or hard copies are available at the main office at Taft. Contact the main office and they will help make arrangements. Summer office hours are Monday - Thursday, 7:30am-3:30pm.
We also invite you to connect with Taft in the following ways:
All parents are invited to become a part of the Taft PTA. We are firmly convinced that students’ interest in school closely parallels that shown by their parents. We encourage you to actively support the Taft PTA through your membership and service. All completed forms can be turned in to the main office or homeroom teacher on the first day of school.
- Taft PTA Volunteer Sign-Up Form- Taft has a dedicated group of members who have volunteered to be on the PTA Board and chair committees. PTA-sponsored activities can only be successful with the support of volunteers. Please take time to think about how you can help and complete the volunteer sign-up sheet.
- Membership Form- Joining the PTA is the easiest way to keep in touch with developments in the school and to have input into decisions that affect the Taft Community.
Follow us on Twitter at Taftnotify, Facebook (Taft Middle School with posts from Mr. Hatfield)
If you have any questions about the information stated above or the start of the 2020-2021 school year, please contact the Taft Main Office at 558-2243. We look forward to this coming school year and we will see you on the first day of school, Monday, August 24.
Be Proud! Be a Tiger!